Pages

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

I Felt the Quake too!

Ok so today many of us woke up with the news that there was a 5.8-magnitude earthquake in East Coast affecting areas such as New York, Virginia and Washing on D.C., among others.

What's even scarier about today's news though is that just five minutes ago at around 11:40 p.m., I felt my bed shaking so badly that I thought the worse. I couldn't believe it was a quake, I thought it was just my bed, but as a matter of fact, it was an earthquake. Many of my friends who live in San Francisco were already posting on Facebook that they felt the shaking too.

So not only Richmond was shaking, but San Francisco too, along with other areas in the Bay Area. According to some news sites, the earthquake was of 3.6 magnitude and was felt throughout most of the Bay Area region. As well as the earthquake in the east coast earlier in the day, there wasn't any report on any person injured or any major disaster.

Although, it seems common to feel an earthquake in California due to the fact that it is a very seismic state, it is inevitable to think about why all these earthquakes happen, specially if you think about today that we experienced different quakes from Coast to Coast. I mean I am talking about from New York all the way to California?

After I felt the shake and commented on some of my friends' posts on Facebook, I couldn't stop wondering about how prepared we are for an earthquake. Hours earlier, during the day, my brother had asked me if we, at home were prepared to face an earthquake. My answer was no.

I don't think anybody is. And if we do, in case of a real emergency it is impossible to stay focused and do the right thing as instructed or learned. I mean there are many earthquake preparedness activities or emergency preparedness in general, but we don't pay enough attention to them.

The whole world had experienced great natural disasters, specially earthquakes. How to forget the most recent earthquakes in Japan, Chile, and Haiti; just to mention a few.

I think we should start to pay more attention on how to be more prepared for natural disasters like earthquakes because unfortunately they can't be accurately stopped or predicted . I know I will!

No comments:

Post a Comment