Pages

Monday, October 19, 2009

Dream big, It's possible!


Since I was a little girl, I wanted to be someone in life. I wanted to have a good job doing I what like the most--working as a reporter for a news channel or for a newspaper. I grew up seeing my grandfather watching news and reading the newspaper so I got the love for it. Now that I am in this country, I am working towards getting there through my education.

I am from Honduras and I came here when I was 16 years old. Now, at 22, I am a senior at SF State, studying journalism and Raza studies. I am the first one in my family to go to college and I feel very proud of what I’ve achieved so far. But I want to continue until I achieve my dream like many other Latinas have, whether immigrants or from any Latino heritage background.

Personally, stories like Sonia Sotomayor's have inspired me and confirmed what my parents, my grandparents, my teachers and my counselors have told me: get an education.

Last week I heard another amazing story. Eva Guzman was appointed to the Texas’ Supreme Court by Gov. Rick Perry becoming so the first Latina nominated for that position. It’s like there’s no more excuse to keep ignoring that fact that there are talented, capable Latinos (in this case Latinas) and as a matter of fact, there’s this need to acknowledge the achievements of them in this country.

Another woman, who in the last couple of weeks has made headlines, is Sonia Sotomayor. She is without doubt a big inspiration for many trying to pursue a dream. This woman with Puerto Rican roots has become one of the most important Latinas in the history. First chosen by President Barack Obama and then confirmed by the Senate to be the U.S. Supreme Court justice, Sotomayor became the first Latina, as she calls herself, to have such a job. It’s still unbelievable to learn that Sotomayor who was born in Bronx, New York; and who comes from a humble Puerto Rican family, made it to the country’s Supreme Court after a hard, long path. Again, her story leads to the idea that everything is possible.

It’s also perfect timing to point out these successful stories when Latinos represent the largest minority in the country. According to the Pew Hispanic Center, the Latino population in the United States will triple in size by 2050 making up 29 percent of the total U.S. population. It really emphasizes the fact that as a large group in this country, there should also be a growth at an educational level. In other words, as the Latino population grows, Latinos college graduates should also increase.

Unfortunately, Latinos in education continue to be characterized for high dropout rates. It seems very scary considering the fact that education is very important in order to succeed in life, especially in this country, and also considering the growth of the Latino population in the country. Stories like Guzman's and Sotomayor’s will hopefully inspire many to stay in college and graduate.

Both Guzman's and Sotomayor’s stories are rooted to humble beginnings portraying so the idea that it’s through hard work, effort and dedication that everything is possible and that we should dream big even in difficult times. Meanwhile, I will stay in college to complete my Bachelor’s degree in journalism and of course, will keep dreaming big. It’s possible! We’ve seen it!

No comments:

Post a Comment